Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Social Media- What your Children are Actually being Exposed To (Facebook, Instagram, SnapChat, Whisper....etc) Get in the Know!!!



My beautiful 11 year old daughter begged me to let her create a snap chat. She is an honor roll student, I gave in and allowed her to do so. I made the descion before doing research, as I was preoccupied. So I told her let me see this app that your using, I wanted  to know what she was seeing, and not surprisingly there were many things that were inappropriate for an 11 year old. I explained to her that  it was unsafe for many reasons. She said "Like WHO?" she sassed me. I ran the list down list, 1.Virtual predators 2. Virtual predators and  3.Rapist and pedophiles. She laughed at me and said "Ok Mommy I'll stay off of it". I meant business, I now do not want her on any social websites. I don't want her seeing certain things and with her having access to everything at her fingertips I just cannot control it.

Who are your children talking to, do you really know?

What content are they being exposed to?

When do you actually take time to explore what their viewing ?

Where are they when using social media tools?

How do you feel about your child using the many social portals available?

Have you spoken to your children about the dangers of social media?

 If you cannot answer these questions with certainty. Reevaluate what you want your children to learn outside of what your teaching them. Know that they are learning so much more, via social media than what you think.  

Read these article, I feel like it applies to all of social media I could be wrong, but we need to be aware and proactive.

Reported By: Stephanie Abney
https://familyshare.com/19793/parenting/10-things-parents-and-kids-should-know-about-the-snapchat-app

Internet Safety 101
http://internetsafety101.org/snsdangers

Huffington Post Reported by: Jamison Monroe
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/dangers-of-social-media/

No comments:

Post a Comment